With the increasing demand for the advanced and sophisticated Lasik surgery technology, people who suffer from the vision problems, usually self-assess the eligibility to go through the surgery. There are certain factors that determine eligibility of a patient to the surgery, along with certain terms and conditions. So, before going for the Lasik surgery , one has to ensure that one is fit for the surgery or not. In general, Lasik suits for most of the people, except a very few.
Most general and common eligibility criteria that determine the eligibility of the Lasik patients to the Lasik surgery are:
- Minimum age to go for the surgery is 18
- The prescription showing stable vision for at least one year
- Though the patient is 20 years old, eye doctors consider the stability of the vision and it has to be stable to be eligible for the surgery
- Female Lasik patient, who is not pregnant
- Patients, who do not suffer from general chronic diseases like diabetes, blood pressure, etc.
- Patients, who do not suffer from eye related diseases, like cataract, glaucoma, etc.
- Potential Lasik patient with regular shape of cornea and do not have pupils enlarged away to seven millimetres
- Patient, who is not a nurse
There are also certain instances where the eye patient cannot undergo the Lasik surgery, such as,
- Female patients, who are pregnant
- Patient, who has serious eye diseases unsolved, before one year the Lasik surgery
- Patients, who have thin cornea
The criteria specified are applicable to the eye patients in general and for more specific conditions and eligibility, one has to consult the eye doctor and explore the eligibility to undergo the Lasik surgery.
Please go through the international guideline for Lasik eye laser surgery, for more details of patient criteria checklist.
No worries, eye patients, who are not fit for the Lasik surgery have alternate solutions, such as:
- Clear Lens Extraction
- PRK Lasik Surgery
- CE3 & INTACS for Keratoconus Treatment
- ICL (Implantable Contact Lens) Surgery
So, there are always a solution for the eye related refractive errors and no matter one is eligible for Lasik or not.